Matthew Kahler Brings ‘Listening Experience’ to Studioplex Atlanta
Small gathering slated that headlines an Atlanta legend
Originally published on: willpollock.com
Filed in: Music
Story & Photos by Will Pollock
(ATLANTA :: 4 April 2012) - From Tina Turner’s arena tours to the single guitarist strumming on a subway platform, the music should always be the star of the show.
Such is the case with Matthew Kahler, an Atlanta mainstay and legendary storyteller, musician and artist. I’m lucky to call him a friend, and now, marking our first in a “listening experience” series, Matthew will be performing for a small but vocal group of fans at Studioplex Atlanta this Saturday night.
“It’s always exciting to do something new,” Matthew says. “If it involves music and the word ‘listening’ is in the description, then I’m there. If an audience member feels slightly put out that a venue such as Eddie’s Attic or Bluebird urges listeners to not talk and listen, they ought to remember why: a connection MUST be made with this kind of music. There really is no point if the connection’s not made.
“I call it a loop of energy,” he adds. “It's a symbiotic thing.”
Although Matthew notes that “Out of the Blue” is usually the most-requested song in his catalog, the requests have changed over the years. As has the industry, he says, which has seen its fair share of egos emerge and flame out.
“I think the music is so big that it's easy for a lot of people to make the mistake of thinking they are big just because they are doing it,” he says. “I stay away from making the music preachy or telling someone how to live or what to do. But that does not mean that music can't be fun or even absurd.
“But if I as a listener ever feel like someone is telling me how to lead my life, i'm immediately turned off. When you do that, it’s not only mission impossible - it’s mission never accomplished.”
The reasons to attend are plentiful, Matthew says, adding that audience members are in for some true self-discovery. “It’s cool to rediscover something you learned just yesterday or a long time ago about yourself, someone or something else, or all of the above. Because live music offers a chance to have a moving experience.”
My foray as host of a live music event is most certainly a dream come into reality, and Matthew has some choice words about yours truly.
“Will makes up for all the bad hosts at all the bad functions you've been to before,” he says. “Simply put, Will is interested in everyone, and curious about everything.”
Plan on joining us Saturday evening. Tickets are very limited and going fast - so let us know if you plan on attending. Check back to this page for updates on ticket availability and last-minute tips on how to find us. - WP
Images: Will Pollock Photography for Stone Four Media on location at Studioplex and at Lorikay Photography studios.
“Will Pollock with Wiffledust presents: Story & Song with Matthew Kahler”
UPDATE: Tickets remaining: 20 (updated 6 April 2012 @ 12:15 p.m.)
- Who: Matthew Kahler, Atlanta's own acoustic legend
- Where: Stone Four Studios @ Studioplex #131 (659 Auburn Ave NE, Atlanta 30312)
- Park: Drive in the entrance, pull behind Serpas Restaurant and through the gate - continue to the right, it's mid-building, through to the inner courtyard. PARK IN UN-NUMBERED SPOTS ONLY AROUND THE PERIPHERY. (If you park in a reserved space you’ll either be booted or towed.) Carpooling is encouraged. We are located on the breezeway about halfway in the property.
- When: Doors open at 7; show from 8-10:30
- Why: Small, intimate "listening experiences" are the best way to hear a musician do his thing. This is a non-amplified, guitar-only event
- What: Our art gallery will be up and running; We'll have other stuff to purchase including items that go to charity, as well as Matthew's newest double-CD set will be available. Everyone will be entered in a raffle that will win you sweet prizes!
- Tickets: $25 (in advance or at the door) and include beverages and refreshments from Lotta Frutta.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Stone Four Studios directly: 404.897.1313.
Here’s a sample of “Africa” by Matthew Kahler (video by Wiffledust):
# # #